On this episode we talk about “small talk.” We discuss how to increase your comfort when going to a social outing and manage the anxiety that can come with it. We also tried changing our recording rig. I didn’t hit record, so there’s no video on this episode. Sorry.
Small Talk Tactics Show Notes;
- Know that others may be just as uncomfortable, shy, and unfamiliar as you.
- Make your focus about others and not about yourself. Try these 4 magic words “…and what about you?”
- Check your body language. 93% of communication is nonverbal. 38% is tone and 55% body language.
- Preparation by knowing what you are getting yourself into. Ask question like; Why are you there? What should you expect? How can you prepare?
- Focus on making a good first & last impression.
- Find interesting ways to talk about what you do.
- Dress for success.
- Look for opportunities to provide compliments & appreciation.
- Find common ground with things all people encounter.
- Connect with people who are alone.
- Balance your comments between observations, asking questions, & personal disclosure.
- Never be mean to to anyone. It will make you the villain to someone.
- Give your full attention. It will silence your mind.